Saturday, August 9, 2008

Smokey Bear

To continue with comments about my dogs, I next go to Smokey. He was given to me by one of the ladies that I was bowling with, Ruth Gordon from Erda. I had told her about how sick Miggs was getting and she said I needed another dog for comfort. I told her that I couldn't handle two dogs and she said that I could at least look at the pups that her dog had had. So to keep Ruth happy and our bowling team on an even keel, I went to her house to look at the dogs.
When I got to Ruth's house, she said that all of the pups but one were part border collie and German shorthair. The "special one" as she called him was part border collie and black lab. She sent her son out to the woodpile where the "special one" was hiding to bring him in. When her son returned with the pup he put him on the floor in front of where I was sitting and that dog literally climbed up into my lap and cuddled right under my chin. Ruth told me that I couldn't possibly refuse such a cuddly ball of fur. So I took him.
He was my comfort when Miggs passed away and even though I cried a lot he was there to give hugs and kisses. I named him Smokey Bear because he reminded me of a little black bear cub. He certainly lived up to his name. He acted like a bear in protecting me and the house. If the doorbell rang and I went to the door, he always got between me and the door and wouldn't move unless it was someone he knew or I said it was ok. Smokey even protected the car. He would sit in the back seat until I got out and then would jump into the driver's seat and bark if anyone came close to the car. He was big, black and intimidating to those who didn't know what a sweet and gentle dog he really was. More on him at a later time.

No comments: