Friday, July 4, 2008

Remembering past Fourths

Today is Independance Day and I have been thinking about how we used to celebrate this day. First of all I don't remember it being so hot. I guess when you are young, you are too busy to notice temperature. Anyway, when I was in junior high and high school we always started celebrating the Fourth on the third by having an all night dance. About 5:00 in the morning, the band members would get together in an old hay wagon and ride around town playing patriotic music and waking everyone up. Those we didn't wake up with music were bounced out of bed by firecrackers. Such things weren't banned in those days and you really had to be careful as some of the guys thought it was great fun to toss a firecracker under your chair while you were playing music. After a couple of hours we would all get into our band uniforms and march in the parade plus give a concert in the park in the afternoon. By the time that was over we would all be dragging. I never knew what went on after the concerts because I would be so tired that I would go home and sleep. Of course living out of town like we did I wouldn't have seen or heard any fireworks anyway. I can only guess that there were lots of games going on and good food available. Things probably haven't changed too much around the small towns, but I usually choose to avoid activities because of the heat. Today is really HOT !! (The air conditioner has been going full blast since 10:30 this morning)

No comments: